In October 2021, EASO released a number of recommendations for policy and health decision-makers to help address critical gaps in the EU Research Agenda on health outcomes through the lens of obesity.
The recommendations, based on feedback from a structured stakeholder consultation with 32 other organisations including the World Health Organisation and OECD, are intended to provide support to the European Commission as priorities are set within the HORIZON EUROPE, EU4Health and other related Research Programmes which can have a real-world impact on implementing obesity as an NCD.
Recommendations identified as a result of the consultation include the need to:
- Bridge the gaps between the biology of obesity and the impact of the physical and societal environment on the onset and progression of obesity
- Implement a clear chronic disease narrative on obesity and identify structural research parameters
- Collect, harness and leverage appropriate and meaningful data
- Support the generation of personalised pathways for prevention, treatment and long-term management of obesity and obesity related complications
- Improve communication and outreach amongst all research agenda stakeholders