Interested in nutrition and weight management for yourself or someone you know? Are you a nutrition professional looking for a refresher course? You are welcome to join this free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) “The Science of Weight Loss: Dispelling Diet Myths”.
Since this course was first offered in 2017, over 65,000 learners from over 180 countries have enrolled!
The 6 week long course is available internationally, and covers the following topics:
- Key weight management concepts including measuring body composition, calories and kilojoules, energy density, portion size, and metabolic rate
- The nutritional composition of food
- How to use dietary assessment tools and calculation of energy requirements
- How to identify features of fad diets and healthy dietary patterns
- Key behaviours for successful long term maintenance of weight loss
The course has been updated to include content on mindful and intuitive eating, teaching individuals how to minimize external drivers of energy intake by emphasising the sensory properties of foods and internal indicators of hunger and fullness.
The MOOC begins on 23rd February, 2022. Interested learners can sign up here https://www.edx.org/course/the-science-of-weight-loss-dispelling-diet-myths
Questions can be directed to Rebecca.Williams@newcastle.edu.au