EASO is pleased to join The World Obesity Federation in presenting a joint statement to the WHO Regional Committee for Europe 70th session on the state of health, including lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic. The virtual session takes place 14– 15 September 2020.
EASO believes that actions to address obesity will be essential to help prevent the worst impacts of COVID-19 on vulnerable populations. We also see an opportunity to “build back better” in the region to ensure a healthy recovery. EASO urges European governments to embed the following considerations in their national strategies for COVID-19 in the short- and long-term, to ensure that the wider health of populations is maintained, and negative impacts are minimised:
- Ensure that nutritionally adequate food is made available for all, particularly for vulnerable populations.
- Ensure NCD patients have continued access to treatment.
- Ensure that policies and restrictions in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 allow for people to be
- physically active, while maintaining adequate social distancing.
- Increase education and awareness that obesity is a disease.
- Recognise that obesity and other NCDs increase the risk and likely worsen the outcomes of COVID-19, and ensure that people living with these diseases are tested and provided care early.
Visit the WHO website:
Read the full statement on the EASO website: